Tuesday, April 17th, 2018
When people visit the dentist, one of the last things they consider is visiting the dentist for an oral cancer screening. However, most dentists are trained to identify signs of oral cancer during your preventive care exam. Regular preventive care exams allow your dentist to spot any early warning signs of oral cancer and identify your risk of developing oral cancer.
Oral cancer rarely produces symptoms in its early stages, so patients may not even realize there has been a change in their oral health. Scheduling biannual visits to the dentist can allow patients to receive an early diagnosis. Early diagnosis of oral cancer may increase your chance of receiving life-saving treatment and maintaining your quality of life.
If you haven’t visited the dentist this year for an oral cancer screening, visit Dr. Daryle Mahnke at Bay City Smiles. Dr. Mahnke is an experienced dentist in Bay City, MI dedicated to improving your oral health through comprehensive, quality dental care.
Oral Cancer Screening in Bay City, MI
An oral cancer screening is a quick, painless, and effective process. Dr. Mahnke will perform a detailed oral examination of your oral cavity and throat. Dr. Mahnke will check for any sores or lesion in your soft tissue, lumps in the throat, red or white patches in the mouth, and pain or numbness in the mouth. During your exam, we will also check for any other symptoms or unusual growths in the mouth, throat, jaw, gums, tongue, and cheeks. If you experience or notice any of these symptoms for more than two weeks, we suggest you schedule an appointment as soon as possible.
It is important to note that anyone can develop oral cancer. However, specific factors can put certain patients at a higher risk of developing oral cancer. Patients who smoke or use tobacco, patients who are exposed to HPV and patients over the age of 50 are at a higher risk of developing oral cancer.
No matter if you’re at high risk of developing oral cancer or not, it is critical that you visit the dentist regularly for preventive care visits and oral cancer screening. Bay City dentist Dr. Mahnke offers comprehensive dental care and advanced solutions for complex dental problems. If you would like to schedule an appointment, contact Bay City Smiles.
Posted in: oral cancer, oral cancer screening bay city
Monday, March 26th, 2018
At Bay City Smiles in Bay City, MI we are committed to healthy smiles and exceptional patient care. Dr. Daryle Mahnke is a highly trained dentist in Bay City, MI dedicated to helping each of our patients achieve a healthier smile. We offer a wide selection of cosmetic, restorative, and general dentistry services to restore a damaged smile. At Bay City Smiles Dr. Mahnke and our dental care team work with patients of all ages to improve the health, function, and beauty of their smile. If you are in need of dental services from routine dental care to advanced treatment, our Bay City, MI dental office has the right solution for you.
As a Dawson Academy graduate, Dr. Mahnke has undergone continuous training to stay up to date on the most current advancements in dentistry. Dr. Mahnke has adopted the idea of ‘Complete” dentistry in our Bay City dental office to address any underlying dental problems that may compromise the function and aesthetic of your smile. Through comprehensive treatment, patient-focused dental care, and personalized treatment planning, Dr. Mahnke delivers the dental care patients need to improve their smile.
Read what some our patients are saying about their visit to Bay City, MI dental office.
As a new patient how grateful I am as they all were concerned and understanding of my situation. Dr, Mahnke and his Staff were very gentle and they gave me great advice in my situation. If you are in need of a very good Dentist, I suggest you call the office of Dr, Daryl Mahnke he is taking new patients. -Sandra L.
Very thorough Dentist! Takes an overall health approach rather than just dental health and is very concerned with patient satisfaction. -Adam W.
My experience with Dr. Mahnke and his staff is excellent, I’ve had dentures for several years and have never had a more professional, caring experience. I would highly recommend him and give him 10 stars if I could. Thank you and your staff for the care you have shown me. -Carolyn W.
Family Dentist in Bay City, MI
We offer convenient, high-quality dental care for families in Bay City, MI. If you would like to schedule a routine dental exam or explore your treatment options, you should schedule a visit to our Bay City dental office. Patients can contact our Bay City dentist office or schedule an appointment online.
Posted in: Family Dental Care
Tuesday, February 27th, 2018
Traditionally, crooked teeth are treated using braces. However, there are a variety of methods to treat crooked teeth without the need for traditional braces. General dentist Dr. Daryle Mahnke offers solutions for patients with crooked teeth in Bay City, MI. Depending on your needs, Dr. Mahnke may suggest straightening crooked teeth with or without braces. For solutions for straightening teeth without braces, Dr. Mahnke may suggest porcelain veneers, dental crowns, or dental bonding. During your visit, Dr. Mahnke will perform a comprehensive exam to determine which solution is best for your smile. To learn more about your options, visit our Bay City dental office. To schedule an appointment call Bay City, MI dentist office or schedule an appointment online.
Treating Crooked Teeth In Bay City, MI
Treating crooked teeth is not only important for cosmetic reasons, but for oral health reasons as well. When the teeth are crooked or misaligned, it makes it more difficult for patients to properly brush and floss their teeth. When the teeth aren’t cleaned properly, patients are more susceptible to developing dental issues like cavities, tooth decay, and gum disease.It is important to treat crooked teeth to maintain the health and integrity of your natural smile. Depending on your needs, Dr. Mahnke may suggest any of the following treatments to address crooked and misaligned teeth.
- Dental Bonding: Cosmetic dental bonding is usually completed in just one short visit to our Bay City dental office. Dr. Mahnke will apply a tooth-colored resin to the affected tooth. The tooth-colored resin is molded and shaped to the desired shape and cured with a special light. D.r Mahnke will polish the tooth and make any final adjustments.
- Porcelain Veneers
: Porcelain veneers are created using a thin, translucent ceramic material. Porcelain veneers cover the front and sides of teeth and can be used to address other cosmetic concerns such as gaps between teeth, damaged teeth, and minor alignment issues, and tooth discoloration.
- Dental Crowns: A dental crown is a tooth-shaped cap that is placed over a tooth that is misshaped or crooked. Dental crowns can also be used to treat decayed and damaged teeth.
Posted in: crooked teeth
Monday, January 22nd, 2018
At Bay City Smiles in Bay City, MI, family dentist, Dr. Daryle Mahnke offers a wide range of dental services for patients of all ages. Dr. Mahnke can work with you with you to develop a plan that addresses all your dentistry needs.
In the midst of the spirit of the new year, now is a great time to set your oral health resolutions. Your oral health resolutions are goals you set that can improve the overall function and health of your smile. As a highly trained and experienced dentist, Dr. Mahnke believes in educating his patients on the importance of maintaining optimal oral health. In this post, we will list a few oral health resolutions that patients should consider in the new year to improve their oral health.
Oral Health Resolutions
- Schedule your biannual dental checkup. A dental check-up is categorized as part of preventive dental care. During your visit, Dr. Mahnke will screen for complex dental problems such as oral cancer, gum disease, and TMJ disorder. Dr. Mahnke will also examine your teeth, mouth, and gums to check for any signs of dysfunction. During your dental check-up, patients will also receive a dental cleaning to remove plaque buildup from the teeth.
- Drink water and avoid sugary beverages. Sugar can have a negative effect on your oral health. If you don’t properly clean your teeth, sugar can mix with the plaque in your mouth, creating an acid that can break down your tooth enamel. Over time, if the teeth are not thoroughly cleaned, you may develop tooth decay or cavities. Instead of sugary beverages try drinking water. Water can help with saliva production and help you avoid the effects of dry mouth. Drinking water also helps remove unwanted debris from the mouth.
- Maintain a healthy oral hygiene routine. Make sure you are brushing your teeth twice a day for at least two minutes. You also want to incorporate flossing into your daily routine. Flossing only takes a minute or two out of your everyday routine, but offers a lifetime of benefits.
Schedule A Visit
Dr. Mahnke is an experienced dentist who is dedicated to providing personalized, patient-focused dental care to each of his patients. If you are in need of dental care or need to schedule an appointment, contact our Bay City, MI dentist office.
Posted in: Oral Health
Friday, December 15th, 2017
Most patients who grind their teeth don’t realize they have an issue until they visit their dentist. Teeth grinding usually occurs during sleep or stressful situations. Patients who grind their teeth may experience symptoms like toothaches, headaches, and jaw pain. If you are experiencing any symptoms associated with teeth grinding, it is important that you visit a trusted dentist to ensure your teeth grinding isn’t leading to the development of a complex dental problem.
Restorative dentist Dr. Daryle Mahnke is a trusted dental professional in Bay City, MI. As a Dawson Academy trained dentist, Dr. Mahnke is trained in identifying and treating complex dental problems, including TMJ, bite disorders, and gum disease. Dr. Mahnke takes his time with each patient to identify their dental issuea and provide a personalized treatment plan that addresses their dental needs.
Teeth Grinding: FAQS
What are the signs of teeth grinding?
Knowing the signs of teeth grinding can help patients get the care they need.
If you are experiencing any of these signs, please schedule an appointment with Dr. Mahnke.
- Chipped or cracked teeth
- Damage to the tooth enamel
- Tooth sensitivity
- Jaw pain
- Headaches or migraines
- Facial pain
- Cuts or sores on the inside cheek
What treatments do you offer for teeth grinding?
- Bite Guard: Dr. Mahnke may suggest a bite guard to protect the teeth while you sleep. A bite guard is a custom made an oral appliance that prevents the teeth from grinding at night.
- Bite Alignment Therapy: Teeth grinding may be a result of a misaligned bite. Dr. Mahnke can provide a range of solutions to properly realign your teeth, including invisible braces, dental crowns, dental veneers or dental implants.
- Cosmetic Dentistry Treatments: Teeth grinding can cause damage to the teeth. Depedingont he extent of the damage, Dr. Mahnke may suggest the use of porcelain veneers, dental crowns, or dental bonding to repair your smile.
How Do I Schedule An Appointment?
Don’t suffer from your symptoms another day, schedule a consultation at our Bay City, MI dental office. Dr. Mahnke can perform a comprehensive exam to provide an accurate diagnosis and plan an effective treatment to improve your smile. If you would like to schedule an appointment, contact our Bay City dental office.
Posted in: teeth grinding bay city
Tuesday, November 28th, 2017
If your dental benefits run on the calendar year, then your time to use them is almost up. December 31st is right around the corner, and your dental benefits are just sitting there ready to be used. At Bay City Smiles, Dr. Daryle Mahnke offers a range of general, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry service that can address a variety of dental issues. Don’t wait until it’s too late to receive the treatment you need.
Using Your Dental Benefits
Your dental insurance usually covers part of your dental work for an entire year (outside of your deductible). Some dental insurance companies follow the fiscal year, and others follow the calendar year. If your insurance company follows the calendar year, your dental benefits will run out by December 1st, 2017 and do not roll over into the next year. So in simpler terms, use it or lose it!
If you are unsure if you have unused benefits, contact your dental insurance company or Bay City Smiles. Our experienced staff can guide you through using your remaining benefits for the dental treatment you need. Patients should also keep in mind that they have a yearly deductible, which means there is a certain amount of money patients may need to pay out of pocket before your dental insurance company will cover your services.
Delaying treatment until the last possible moment can put you at risk of developing complex dental problems. It is important to visit the Dr. Mahnke twice a year for preventive care exams and dental cleanings. Preventive care visits allow Dr. Mahnke to thoroughly examine your teeth and look for any signs of advanced dental issues like gum disease, tooth decay, or cavities. Simple dental problems can turn into more complex issues if you don’t receive the treatment you need to restore your healthy smile. Dr. Mahhnke can work with you to determine what dental solutions best suit your needs. Our goal at Bay City smiles is to help patients achieve a healthier smile through patient-focused, comprehensive dental care.Schedule an appointment at Bay City Smiles in Bay City, MI for the dental care you need to improve your smile.
Posted in: Dental Benefits
Tuesday, October 24th, 2017
This month we are focusing on helping patients achieve better oral health. Practicing an excellent oral hygiene routine can improve the overall aesthetic, quality, and function of your smile. At Bay City Smiles in Bay City, MI, Dr. Daryle Mahnke focuses on educating his patients on the tools necessary to maintain optimal oral health and providing a range of cosmetic, restorative, and general dentistry services. Dr. Mahnke understands the benefits of developing and maintaining an excellent oral hygiene routine and shares that with patients in hopes they will take charge of their oral health. Practicing an excellent oral hygiene routine can help patients avoid complex dental issues and keep their smile bright and healthy.
Tips For Improving Your Oral Hygiene Routine
- Make sure you are using the appropriate toothbrush for your teeth. If brushing your teeth is uncomfortable, try switching your toothbrush to a soft-bristled, medium bristled, hard bristled, or electric toothbrush. Also make sure you are replacing your toothbrush every few months because the bristle can wear out, making your toothbrush less effective. When brushing the teeth, make sure you are brushing for at least two minutes day, twice a day to properly remove plaque and debris from the mouth.
- Incorporate flossing into your dental hygiene routine. Flossing can help remove debris hiding between the teeth, reduce your chance of developing gum disease, and prevent tartar buildup. If you aren’t sure if you are flossing correctly, feel free to schedule a preventive care exam and discuss any questions you may have with Dr. Mahnke.
- Use a fluoride mouthwash to help remove excess debris and fight against plaque buildup. Find an ADA approved mouthwash to incorporate into your oral hygiene routine.
- Schedule biannual routine preventive care visits to Bay City Smiles. Dr. Mahnke recommends patients visit his office at least twice a year to receive a professional dental cleaning and a comprehensive exam. Comprehensive exams allow Dr. Mahnke to thoroughly examine the teeth, mouth, gums, and jaw to check for any signs of dysfunction. Depending on his findings, Dr. Mahnke can provide a personalized treatment plan to improve the quality and function of your smile.
Schedule An Appointment
General dentist Dr. Mahnke will work with you to improve your smile. If you haven’t scheduled a preventive care visit, contact Bay City Smiles in Bay City, MI. Patients can contact our office to schedule an appointment or schedule an appointment online.
Posted in: Dental Hygiene
Tuesday, September 19th, 2017
Have you noticed that you have been experiencing persistent bad breath?
You may be suffering from halitosis. Halitosis is persistent bad breath that is not eliminated by practicing proper oral hygiene. Halitosis is a treatable condition with the help of an experienced dentist. It is important to get your mouth checked if you are noticing signs of halitosis. Often, Halitosis is an indicator of a more complex dental problem.
If you want to explore your treatment options, visit Bay City Smiles in Bay City, MI. Dr. Daryle Mahnke offers comprehensive dental exams to determine the underlying cause of your halitosis. Dr. Mahnke is a highly trained, compassionate dentist, who is committed to providing exceptional dental care. Dr. Mahnke will address the cause of your halitosis and provide the appropriate dental treatment.
In order to maintain healthy teeth and minimize your chance of developing complex dental problems, it is important to follow a proper oral hygiene routine. Brushing and flossing at least twice a day and visiting Dr. Mahnke at least twice a year for preventive care visits can help keep your smile beautiful and functional. At Bay City Smiles, we understand dental problems do arise, and we offer a broad range of treatments depending on your dental condition. Halitosis can be caused by any of these dental conditions:
- Gum Disease: Gum disease affects the gum tissue. Over time, the gums recede from the teeth, which create deep pockets surrounding the teeth. Bacteria can form in the pockets surrounding the teeth, which can cause the teeth to shift, bleeding, bad breath, and tooth loss. For some patients, gum disease presents little to no symptoms. It is important for patients to visit Bay City Smiles regularly to maintain the health of their teeth.
- Tooth Decay: Tooth decay happens when bacteria break down the tooth enamel and leaves the tooth susceptible to toothaches, tooth loss, infection, and bad breath. Dr. Mahnke may suggest a professional dental cleaning to get rid of any harmful bacteria before providing a more detailed dental treatment.
- Dry Mouth: Dry mouth occurs when there is a lack of saliva in the mouth. Dry mouth can be caused by factors like dehydration, tobacco use or medication. Dry mouth is an easily treatable condition. You can speak with your doctor or Dr. Mahnke to determine the best solution for you.
Schedule a Consultation
If you want to explore your treatment options for halitosis; visit Bay City Smiles. General dentist Dr. Mahnke will create a personalized treatment plan for your smile. Patients can schedule an appointment online or call 989.684.0873
Posted in: halitosis
Thursday, August 31st, 2017
Smoking can affect many aspects of your overall health, so it is no surprise that it can have adverse effects on your oral health. Smoking can cause bad breath, tooth discoloration, increase your risk of developing gum disease, and oral cancer. Quitting smoking is a necessary preventative measure that can have tremendous results on your oral health. We understand that quitting smoking can be difficult, but it important to think about how you can improve your oral health and minimize your risks of developing serious dental problems in the future. Dr. Daryle Mahnke can work with you to correct a smile that has been damaged by smoking. At Bay City Smiles, Dr. Mahnke offers a range of restorative and cosmetic dental treatments to improve the quality and aesthetic of your smile. It is important to note, to maintain the quality of your dental treatment, it is necessary to quit smoking.
The Effects of Smoking on your Oral health
Smoking can cause these symptoms:
- Bleeding gums
- Plaque build up
- Tooth decay
- Dry mouth
In extreme cases, smoking can lead to gum disease and oral cancer, which may require the need for complex dental treatment. At Bay City Smiles we help patients maintain their beautiful smiles and make the best decision regarding their oral health. The best thing you can do is quit smoking entirely to help improve your oral health. General dentist Dr. Mahnke will work with you to help address any issues regarding your oral health. We advise patients to visit our Bay City dental office at least twice a year to make sure your teeth and gums are healthy. It is important for patients to get their teeth and gums checked regularly to ensure that no complex dental issues are developing. Smokers should take into consideration that they may be more prone to certain dental problems so they should take extra measure to improve their oral health.
Other measures smokers can take to improve their oral health:
- Maintain a healthy oral hygiene routine
- Visit the dentist at least twice a year
- Be aware of the signs of oral cancer and gum disease
Schedule an Appointment at Bay City Smiles
Dr. Mahnke is an experienced dentist in Bay City, MI, who is dedicated to providing patient focused dental care. Dr. Mahnke is trained is trained in all aspects of dentistry and offers a wide range of services to each of our patients. If you want to schedule an appointment at Bay City Smiles, you can schedule an appointment online or call 989.684.0873
Posted in: Oral Health
Tuesday, July 25th, 2017
The health of your gums is important to the overall health of your teeth. Most patients neglect their gums in their oral hygiene routine, which can lead to complex dental issues like gum disease and tooth decay. Bay City dentist Dr. Daryle Mahnke strives to provide patients with the information they need to maintain a healthy, beautiful smile. At Bay City Smiles, we offer a full range of service to help prevent and treat gum disease. We understand that your oral health is important, and make great strides to provide personalized, comprehensive dental treatment to help improve your smile.
What is gum disease? Gum disease is an infection of the connective tissue surrounding your teeth. It can cause dental issues like missing teeth and halitosis, so it is important to get your teeth checked regularly by Dr. Mahnke to help catch signs of gum disease early and develop a treatment to help restore the health of your teeth.
What are the symptoms of gum disease? The symptoms of gum disease can vary. For some patients, they may not exhibit any symptoms of gums disease, which is why it is important to visit our Bay City dental office for preventive care visits to determine if you have developed gum disease. Other patients, do exhibit signs of gum disease, which can range from:
- Swollen gums
- Loose or shifting teeth
- Bad breath
- Receding gums
- Bleeding gums
- Change in the fit of dentures
What causes gum disease? Gum disease can develop over time and some patients don’t even realize it. It is important to know how gum disease can develop so that you can limit your risk. Gum disease can possibly develop due to factors like smoking, genetics, improper oral hygiene, and certain medications. Practicing an excellent oral hygiene routine can minimize your chances of developing gum disease. Once plaque develops, it can wreak havoc on your oral health and cause gingivitis, which can lead to more advanced stages of gum disease.
How do I treat gum disease? Dr. Mahnke offers a variety of dental service to treat gum disease. Depending on the severity or the progression of your gum disease, Dr. Mahnke offers a number of dental services:
- Scaling and root planing
- Flap surgery
- Bone grafts
- Soft tissue grafts
- Guided tissue regenerations
- Bone surgery
Schedule A Consultation
Looking for an experienced dentist in Bay City, MI? Feel free to visit Bay City Smiles. Dr. Mahnke would be happy to thoroughly examine your mouth, teeth, and gums and determine what treatment is right for you. You can schedule an appointment online or call 989.272.2478
Posted in: bleeding gums