Preventive care visits with Bay City dentist Dr. Mahnke are an important part of maintaining life long oral health, but good oral hygiene between visits can be just as important!
Understanding the best ways to care for your teeth at home can help to prevent dental health problems such as gum disease and tooth decay- common issues that can lead to bigger oral health problems if untreated!
Family dentist Dr. Mahnke offers good oral hygiene tips:
- Commit to a daily oral hygiene routine: brushing, flossing and using dental care products that will keep your smile healthy between visits is key to long term oral health. Dr. Mahnke will often recommend appropriate hygiene products to patients who are having a health issue.
- Use fluoride products: this applies to both children AND adults! Fluoride helps keep tooth enamel strong and healthy.
- Brush and floss: practicing these daily helps to reduce the development of gum disease and tooth decay.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet with limited sugar: added sugars have caused an increase in both oral and overall health issues for today’a dental patients. Limiting sugar is important for overall good health and will also reduce tooth decay.
- Stop the use of tobacco: smoking contributes to halitosis, damaged and stained teeth as well as gum disease- if possible, quit smoking!
- Perform oral exams at home: looking for and informing Washington dentist Dr. Mahnke of changes in the teeth and gums on a regular basis can mean quicker treatment of developing dental problems.
Keep your smile healthy with these tips and regular visits with Dr. Mahnke!