Bleeding gums may be an indication of a serious oral health concern. In some cases, bleeding gums may be the result of aggressive brushing or flossing; in other cases, bleeding gums are a symptom of gum disease. Gum disease is a progressive bacterial infection of the gums. Gum disease is caused by bacteria in plaque that causes an infection in the gum tissue. Patients with gum disease may notice symptoms like halitosis, shifting teeth, swollen or red gums, and bleeding gums. If gum disease progresses, patients are at risk of tooth loss. Gum disease remains the leading cause of adult tooth loss.
In order to treat bleeding gums, you will need to uncover why the gums are bleeding in the first place. Dr. Daryle Mahnke is a highly trained dentist in Bay City, MI. Dr. Mahne offers routine dental exams and screenings for complex dental concerns in our Bay City dentist office. Dr. Mahnke can work with you to identify the root cause of bleeding gums and build a treatment plan based on your needs.
To receive treatment for bleeding gums, visit Bay City Smiles in Bay City, MI. To schedule an appointment, call 989-272-2478 or request an appointment online.
Improving Your Oral Health
Preventing bleeding gums starts with routine dental care. Try to incorporate these key tips to keep your teeth and gums healthy.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day or after each meal.
- Quit smoking and tobacco use. Smokers are at a higher risk of developing oral cancer, gums disease, and tooth decay.
- Floss your teeth to remove debris, bacteria, and food particles between the teeth.
- Avoid sugary drinks and beverages.
- Visit the dentist for preventive care exams.
- Ask your dentist about ways to improve your oral health.
Bleeding gums are preventable with proper care and healthy oral hygiene habits.