Millions of Americans miss work, make countless visits to the doctor, and overspend on pain relievers each year due to headaches and migraines. Some headaches, especially those that occur upon waking may be caused by TMJ dysfunction. These types of headaches can be successfully treated and often cured by a qualified dentist through simple dental procedures and splint therapy.
Dr. Daryle Mahnke is a Bay City, MI family and general dentist with advanced training and experience in the treatment of TMJ disorders (TMD). Few clinicians are trained to properly identify, diagnose and treat TMD. Dr. Mahnke has undergone post-graduate training at the Dawson Academy and chosen to focus on TMJ disorders and complex cases. Using a contemporary approach, Dr. Mahnke is able to restore health, function and beauty to the mouth with treatments that are pain-free, affordable and long lasting.
What Causes Headaches?
Stress is a common cause for headaches. Other conditions such as malocclusion (unbalanced bite) and TMJ dysfunction can contribute to headaches or migraines. When the teeth do not make proper contact and the jaws are not in proper alignment, it creates stress and tension in the muscles and face, causing headaches to occur. Tension in the jaw and mouth throughout the day also contributes to chronic headaches and migraines.
Are Your Headaches Caused By TMJ Dysfunction?
Headaches are the most common sign of TMJ dysfunction. TMJ headaches tend to occur in the morning because of teeth clenching and teeth grinding that occurs while you sleep.
TMJ Headache Symptoms
- Pain in the temples or back of the head
- Morning headaches
- Pain in the shoulders, neck and upper back
- Migraine headaches
- Teeth grinding, teeth clenching
TMJ Headache Therapy
Dr. Mahnke will perform a bite analysis to evaluate your jaw joints and determine if your headaches are caused by TMJ dysfunction. Treatment for TMJ headaches can range from simple oral appliance therapy, using a night guard or splint, to advanced bite correction therapy which involves reshaping the teeth so that they make proper contact.
- TMJ Mouthguard – Teeth grinding is closely linked with TMJ dysfunction. A TMJ mouthguard keeps your teeth aligned and prevents the top and bottom teeth from coming into contact with each other while you sleep, preventing teeth grinding. Dr. Mahnke is able to custom make a mouth guard that fits comfortably in your mouth.
- Bite Correction – If a mouthguard is unsuccessful in correcting teeth grinding, some patients benefit from bite correction. Dr. Mahnke will realign the teeth so that the upper and lower teeth come into contact with each other correctly. Bite correction can include a number of procedures including tooth bonding, dental crowns, porcelain veneers or dental implants.
Get Relief From Frequent Headaches
A simple bite analysis and consultation can reveal whether or not your headaches are caused by TMJ dysfunction. You can experience permanent relief. Schedule a consultation with Bay City dentist Dr. Daryle Mahnke. Call 989-272-2478 or request an appointment online.