Because teeth grinding normally occurs during sleep, many people don’t realize they have a problem. Instead, they experience headaches, a sore jaw, or worn teeth. General dentist Dr. Mahnke in Bay City, MI has advanced training in treating complex dental issues such as teeth grinding.
Millions of people grind their teeth but don’t realize they do until they visit the dentist. Also referred to as Bruxism, teeth grinding can lead to serious problems including jaw disorders, headaches, and damaged teeth when left untreated. Diagniusug and treating teeth girning can prevent further damage in the future.
Identifying the Signs Teeth Grinding
Dr. Daryle Mahnke is a Bay City dentist focused on the treatment of TMJ disorders. Few clinicians are trained to properly identify, diagnose and treat TMD. Dr. Mahnke studied at the Dawson Academy, one of the leading post graduate dental training facilities, and has learned how to easily diagnose teeth grinding through a simple visual examination.
Signs and Symptoms of Teeth Grinding
- Broken or chipped teeth
- Abraded tooth enamel
- Sensitive teeth
- Jaw pain or tightness in the jaw muscles
- Facial pain
- Cuts or sores on the inside cheek
Treating Teeth Grinding in Bay City, MI
Stress is the primary cause of teeth grinding. Lifestyle changes and relaxation techniques may help to reduce or stop your teeth grinding. In many cases, though, professional treatment is needed to correct the source of the problem and repair damage caused by teeth grinding.
- Bite Guard – Dr. Mahnke frequently uses teeth grinding mouth guards, or bite guards, to stop teeth grinding. A bite guard is a customized, removable appliance similar to a sports mouth guard that is made to fit over your teeth and prevent teeth grinding. Most bite guards are worn at night, however, some patients may find where they wear their teeth grinding mouth guard during high-stress situations.
- Bite Alignment Therapy – Dr. Mahnke provides a comprehensive and broad range of services to correct the causes of teeth grinding. Malocclusion, or improper alignment of the teeth, may be a likely cause for teeth grinding. Teeth can be corrected to proper alignment through the use of invisible braces, dental crowns, dental veneers or dental implants.
- Cosmetic Dentistry to Repair Damage – Once the teeth grinding causes have been successfully treated, Dr. Mahnke will focus on repairing damage caused by teeth grinding. Chronic teeth grinding can leave teeth worn, chipped or broken. Dr. Mahnke may repair teeth using dental crowns, porcelain veneers or cosmetic bonding.
Schedule An Appointment To Stop Teeth Grinding
If you suspect you may suffer from teeth grinding or you have experienced tooth damage, schedule a consultation with Bay City dentist, Dr. Mahnke. A simple bite analysis and consultation can reveal whether or not your teeth grinding is caused by TMJ dysfunction and you can be well on your way to much needed relief. Call 989-272-2478 or request an appointment online.