TMJ Therapy An Overview
Dr. Daryle Mahnke is a general dentist in the Bay City, MI with advanced training and experience in the treatment of TMJ disorders. Few clinicians are trained to properly identify, diagnose and treat TMJ disorders, also known as TMD. Dr. Mahnke also uses advanced technology to diagnose and treat TMD, such as T-Scan III, a digital bite analysis system.
You can count on Dr. Mahnke for personalized care with consistent communication during all phases of treatment. As a Dawson Trained dentist, Dr. Mahnke has dedicated many hours of postgraduate education to learn how to care for patients at the highest ethical and professional level. A primary principle of Dawson dentistry is to do only what is necessary to achieve long-term maintainable health and comfort as well as the creation and maintenance of a beautiful, natural smile.
Common Causes of TMJ Disorder
There is no single cause of TMJ dysfunction. Any number of factors or combination of factors may be to blame including:
- Trauma to the head, neck, or face
- Trauma to the TMJ joint or arthritis
- Muscle hyperactivity
- Malocclusion (where the jaws do not line up correctly resulting in bite problems)
Common TMJ Symptoms
As with the causes, symptoms of TMJ disorder vary greatly between patients. TMJ symptoms often mask themselves or are similar to those of other medical conditions, making diagnosis extremely difficult.
- Shoulder, neck, facial pain
- Clicking or popping when opening or closing jaw
- Locked jaw or limited mobility in the jaw joint
- Teeth clenching, teeth grinding, often accompanied by tooth wear
- Chronic earaches
I was experiencing a problem with multiple teeth breaking/cracking. Dr. Manke diagnosed the problem as being alignment of my jaw/teeth not coming together as perfectly as they should thereby creating undue pressure points resulting in cracking. Dr. Mahnke made a…Michael K.
I am extremely surprised with the results of a recent procedure Dr. Mahnke performed. The Occlusal Adjustment not only stabilized my bite but relieved stress and tension in my cheeks and jaw. My ears instantly felt wide open. Thank you,…Cheryl Q.
January of 2015 had a yearly dental appt. was asked if I had headaches when waking up in the morning, answer was yes. Dr. Mahnke mentioned I had an overbite and suggested I get bite splints. I took his advise…Del K.
TMJ Therapy What to Expect
TMJ is short for Temporomandibular Joint, the joint that connects the upper and lower jaw and is responsible for the opening and closing of the mouth. TMJ disorder is a catch-all term for a wide variety of potential issues affecting the jaw joint, muscles in the face, neck, and surrounding nerves.
Dr. Mahnke’s goal is to treat TMJ by gently and naturally bringing the head, neck, jaw and bite into proper harmony. He will start with a comprehensive evaluation to look for the signs and symptoms of TMJ dysfunction.
Daryle Mahnke DDS is one of the few dental offices in Bay City, MI to have the T-Scan III, a digital bite analysis system. This diagnostic tool measures both the timing and force of your bite to pinpoint the source of instability.
Based on the findings from the visual exam and diagnostic imaging, Dr. Mahnke will create a customized treatment plan to bring the teeth and bite into proper harmony.
- TMJ Mouth Guard – A TMJ mouth guard is a removable oral appliance that helps to keep the teeth and jaw in proper position. Usually worn during sleep, this appliance may also prevent teeth grinding or clenching which can lead to tooth wear and contribute to tooth decay and gum disease. TMJ treatment through splints, mouth guards, and night guards can help to alleviate the most common symptoms of TMJ dysfunction and prevent damage to the teeth and gums.
- Bite Correction Procedures – Occlusal equilibration, better known as bite correction or TMJ correction, is the process of adjusting the harmony of the teeth for optimal fit. The teeth should line up so that they make even contact with one another, creating a low-stress bite. Over 95% of TMJ dysfunction (TMD) and TMJ pain is caused by an improper occlusion. Bite correction can help to alleviate the symptoms of TMD such as a sore jaw, headaches, teeth clenching, and more.
Schedule an Appointment
Trying to find a dentist in the Bay City or the surrounding area? Dr. Mahnke may be the right dentist to solve your complex dental problems. Find out what treatments are right for you, call 989-272-2478 or request an appointment online.